Kiara Chettri

Once we give girls the chance to be free and explore their own talent, the outcome can be stupendous and very encouraging. Kiara Chettri is clearly one such example - a singer songwriter dedicated to expression, spontaneity and appeal. Kiara is about lyrics and the power of voices. Recently published, her new single titled "Falling" is brimming with emotions and feelings! FEMWAV spoke to Kiara about her formation, ups and downs, process and what inspires her...




What led you to take up music? How did your musical journey begin?
KC: As a little kid, I always knew that everyone had something in their lives that they are meant to do. For me, it has always been music. My mother forcing me into learning music was something that was meant to happen and I am beyond grateful. I was around 4 years old when I started singing and then I slowly started learning instruments such as the guitar, piano, keyboards, drums and ukulele. I was always fascinated by the singers I saw performing live on TV. I knew that one day I too would want to perform live in front of an audience. At the age of 13, I gave my Grade 8 vocals exam from Trinity College of London. I knew that one day I wanted to write my own songs but I was always so nervous to do so. My parents motivated me a lot to write something down and that became my first single ‘You’ll See’ that I released at the age of 15.

Does your music reflect your own personality and desires?
KC: Every single song I have written till now is very special to me. I have a deep connection with all my songs. Even if I haven’t gone through most of the experiences I write about, it comes from somewhere and I make sure to make my thoughts come to life. I have written a few songs about my dreams and aspirations. For example, Hopefully Not Too Far from my album 4am is about me questioning what is going to happen if I don't make it big as a musician. I truly feel like each song I write is a different part of who I am.

Tell us about your workflow, how do you go about creating music, melody, lyrics etc?
KC: For me, it's never something that I plan. I don't plan to sit down and write a song, it just happens. When a melody idea or a lyric idea pops up in my head, I either record it or write it down. When I am composing a song, sometimes the lyrics come first then the tune or sometimes vice versa. It really just depends on the song I am making at that moment. Once I have the structure of the song, I finish writing the lyrics. This again is not something that is fixed. It keeps changing for me. For example, for my single Why, I wrote down two lines as an idea and left it for six months. I wrote two to three songs in between and then came back to it as if I needed a break from an unfinished song. It is a unique process for me and I truly believe that all songwriting processes are acceptable and correct because it really is just how the songwriter wants to deal with their song.

As a young and independent artist, What challenges do you face in terms of distribution, outreach for your music?
KC: Indie music is obviously still growing but there has been such a huge change in the music industry in terms of indie music. People have actually started listening to indie artists and following them. It gives me great pride to be an indie artist and I am so happy that we are growing as a community. There are a few challenges such as outreach. Even though I get an immense amount of support from everyone around me, indie artists will never be able to get the kind of reach that signed artists get. Other than this, I think we are doing so well and there are such talented artists in the indie scene who all deserve to be heard.

Tell us about your new single "Falling" - inspiration, reflections about the song?
KC: Falling in love is something that makes you feel so special and when someone starts falling in love with you, it makes you feel even more special. But, when someone starts falling out of love with you, you feel helpless. Falling is a song that tells you the different emotions someone goes through when their significant other starts falling out of love with them. The whole point of this song is to sound really happy when actually it is about something so demotivating and dehumanising. I wanted to make sure that the song sounded like a parade or what you hear when you are in your happy place. This really creates a contrast with the lyrics of the song that are so harsh and real... The idea was right there in front of me; something simple, relatable and real.

In terms of creating a balance - managing your music career and studies, especially in the time of the pandemic?
KC: Being in class 12 and also pursuing music is not easy. I have been and am still learning how to balance my music and studies. Time management is something that really helps but I also have days when I feel super unmotivated to do anything; music or studies. When the pandemic hit, I was so nervous about my music and my studies. I did not know what was going to happen and how I was going to handle it. Turns out that the pandemic really helped my music a lot and made me realise and learn a lot of things as an artist. 



What are your future plans, in terms of music and artistic direction?
KC: I want to continue releasing music and grow my listener base as much as I can. I always knew that this is what I wanted my life to be like. Different and not normal. I want to tour around the world, meet people, make good music and inspire people with my lyrics. This is the life I have always wanted and I would not change it for anything in the world. I am going to be studying music at college in London which will be a great way to expose myself to the music scene there. I am looking forward to releasing new music soon, and depending to go live and tour!

 

Kiara's new single "Why" has just been considered for pre-nomination, by the Grammy Awards. Elated and ecstatic Kiara says "Loss is a feeling that we all have felt... so writing a song on this topic just made sense to me... I had the most incredible response and I am so glad that people related and connects to the song... When I got to know that Why is a Grammy submitted track, I was shocked. I cried even, running to my parents and telling them the good news...."

 

Text by Roopkiran Sangha / Artwork by FEMWAV