Priyanjali Goel - Opera and Software Engineering!

At FEMWAV, we notice a positive change or call it transition of female talent in music. The change we speak of is individual in nature, yet provides interesting genuine narratives. Women stepping out of their traditional roles and working on interdisciplinary careers. Can a software engineers also be a singer songwriter? Yes! and why not? Such is the story of Priyanjali Goel, traversing tech, computation systems and following her resolution to become a singer and producer. “Been training in western classical music for a while… and I plan to pursue the discipline further .. Just getting serious about a conservatory. I am very inclined on opera, yet also drawn to forms like pop, blues and even musicals. During my free time, I write songs and compose… my first steps into composition and  understanding production” . Priyanjali’s motivation as an artist is also rooted in feminist action, which lead her to collaborate and join FEMWAV. “I am keen to share the vision, put forward by FEMWAV, to empower women, by creating space for female talent from India.” says Priyanjali.

What motivated you to collaborate with FEMWAV?
I collaborated with FEMWAV because of the guidance they provide to female artists, starting a career in music and production... The fact that FEMWAV is open to new ideas and input. The opportunity to work with professionals, who have been in this field and understand the challenges one may face. As I am just starting out as an artist, working with FEMWAV was a perfect sync. I appreciate that the people who make FEMWAV possible, are non-profit, volunteer based, flexible in commitment and participation… and that the team truly believes in a brighter (equal) future for female artists. This is especially good for India!


As a new artist, what are the challenges you are facing?
One of the challenges is finding a composer (or say producer) who can collaborate and understand raw ideas, songs in the making. To find that compatibility can be tough. One has to reach out and search.. but yes, social media can sometimes be really helpful. Gained a fair amount of insight to start with.

Second, I would say the time factor. As I am working a hectic IT job, time management between music and work is not easy to manage. There’s lot to learn in that aspect.. the balance! Gradually get a hold of it, as both are important. Third, would be having your family be on the same page, when it comes to career decisions. To have an honest objective talk, about a career change can lead to “hell”… But I know with time (and patience) everyone comes around!

Tell us about Finish The Line - What motivated you to create it? 
Finish the Line (FTL) was created to increase audience interaction, with short audio-visual content. The response was pretty wild, to say the least! The objective was to trigger instant reactions, which empower women..using phrases.. myths.. rhymes.. even songs. Initially brainstorming with the team, we came up with the title, and a format - which would compel the viewer to react, respond and gain rewards. I wanted to throw light on the use of lyrics and rhymes, and we sampled popular themes and visuals as the content for FTL. Was a wonderful experience to read the beautiful, snappy, geeky and funny responses! Was tough to declare a winner every week! We lead the campaign for 4 straight weeks. In future, I would like to build another similar campaign aimed at female singers and songwriters from India.

What do you wish to accomplish via music?

 I want to eventually create an Opera production. My motivation, which would manifest as a message - binding the importance of love, empathy and equality of women. I also seek to demystify the existing definitions of beauty (standards) with songs and lyrics, taking on the given norms and biases. Becoming an artist has taught me a lot.. most of all, the discipline and time needed and persistence. To be able to shape a career, I have to know the inner-me and trust my decisions, in the long term … all these expressions become part of the fabric of my music, I hope!