Rayna Lele

Born and brought up in Mumbai, Rayna Lele is a singer, songwriter and guitarist now living in Pune. Her songs navigate between personal themes and what she imbibes from the reality around her. Her next EP is dedicated to climate change and she feels that the subject should be a motivating factor for artists of today. “Boat of Soul” which brought her into the indie limelight, reflects a pensive lyricist at work. Some of her tunes pursue an existential feel. She has collaborated with producer Brent Tauro (pop-rock band Strike Three) for her new upcoming EP. FEMWAV recently spoke Rayna about her process, how she perceives the music industry and her current motivation based on nature and climate-change.



What led you to take up music?
Rayna: I’ve been working with music ever since I was a child. I grew up Christian, so church was a big part of it – there was always occasion to sing, and I loved loudly harmonizing choruses during Sunday services. I learned how to play the piano very early, and taught myself to play the guitar with a family friend’s hand-me-down guitar. As soon as I picked it up, it felt very right. I loved the woody sound and the way I could control the feel. Not long after, I started writing to music.
 

Music reflects your own personality and desires?
Rayna: Well it only reflects my personality and desires... Whether it's coming-of-age emotions, my interactions with people, learning how to become an adult, or even facing upto climate anxiety and destruction – everything I feel deeply about, somehow always reflects and seeps into my songs.

Tell us about your workflow?
Rayna: Initially it just sort of happened. I'd be noodling around on my guitar, I'd sing a melody, and in a few days, whatever was on my mind would come out in song. But since my initial few, I've started to codify it a bit. To write at will. Now my process is a lot more streamlined. It usually starts with a chord progression and an overarching theme in my head. I journal regularly. It helps me align my thoughts and emotions, and get on the right page with myself. That's usually when I write a few lines. A verse or two, a chorus, or hook line. As soon as there's anything close to a 'song' I take a quick recording on my phone or laptop. Just to come back to it. But not all was so merry and simple …
I used to be very scared about working on a project with someone else, primarily because I was insecure about not knowing enough, messing up, or being labelled stupid or inept. But I'm trying actively to think less about looking stupid. I enjoy working with other people because it gives me new perspectives. It also enables me to dedicate time to my writing and singing...



What challenges do you face in terms of distribution, outreach for your music?
Rayna: I’ve been blessed to have an army of supportive friends and acquaintances who share the little that i’ve publicly released. Who continue to believe in my music despite the little that I've put out there.
I'm not a full time artist, so creating content which is in sync, or optimized for existing algorithms is practically impossible. It’s either that or my sanity! Don't get me wrong, I love working - I like my job and I love making music. I think the two can coexist, and I also feel that social media played less of a role in building credibility. It's false veneer maybe!


Your current direction is lead by nature and climate change?
Rayna: I’m currently working on a 3-song EP that has been entirely shaped by climate change. It’s a topic that is so vast, so socially and politically valid, while at the same time so personal and emotional. Learning about the climate has been my entry into learning about the natural world, and has allowed me to become aware, and even fall in love with. The sheer precision with which natural systems are designed, how we have so much to learn from it, and how way too much of it goes unnoticed by the people. Even with climate change – there are different views, ways of understanding and consequent behavior - a lot of it just goes ignored or politicized or even censored. However, against all odds, nature, ecosystems and the immensity of it all, has found its way into my music…

What future plans and directions?
Rayna: I have NO IDEA what the future holds for me as an artist. The first thing is to release my EP later this year. I have so much music written and stored and honestly just waiting to be released – but I want to do justice to all of it and release it with the focus it deserves. That's my reckless idealism!