Beatboxing by Manasi Nene

Back in 2009, Manasi Nene found a sense of liberation, call it new expression, when she chanced upon beat-boxing on MTV. That music can be made without " classical tradition or notation or instruments..." The power of the voice and the "voice box". 12 years down the line, Manasi is emerging as a resilient voice in the beat-boxing sorority of India, which was deeply male dominated earlier, now progressing towards better gender equity and participation. FEMWAV recently caught up with Manasi, talking about her past, the rise of beat-boxing culture in India, the crew she belongs and "transcending the mundane..." 

What drew me to beat-boxing?
Haha! not sure really, it's been more than 12 years since I first picked it up! I saw two beat-boxers (Vineeth and Likith from Bangalore) on an MTV reality show back in 2009, and immediately started looking for tutorials online. I think what blew my mind was just the ability to create music from your mouth -- not only is it free, but you can take your instrument with you anywhere. I think for a kid, not having that hassle of asking your parents for instruments and classes was really liberating.

What happened along the way? ups and downs!
Hmm, a lot happened along the way I guess. A few highlights are, I recorded the soundtrack for a KitKat advert in 2016, and became India's first female champion at the "Colossal 3.0" event held in Bangalore in 2018. Rapidly, I got pretty deep into loopstation based beat-boxing. I won the first round of the loopstation category at the same Colossal event. I also represented Fergusson College and Flame University at a number of college fests, as a solo beat-boxer as well as part of the 'a cappella' crews. A bit difficult to say what I learned purely through beat-boxing, since it was integrated so much into my life. One big thing, it opened my eyes to many many different genres of music and got me comfortable jamming with literally anything. Especially because there's no classical tradition or even established formal notation for beat-boxing, your individual style and community play a 'huuuge' role in your musical progress. And watching battles and videos of international beat-boxers gave me a really global perspective on music and genres, which is really cool, I don't think I would have had that if my home base were in a more formalized tradition. Another "learning" was how similar people across cultures are, at the end of the day -- you don't necessarily need words to connect with someone, often a groove is enough. There's something very heart-warming, seeing someone's face light up when they come across beat-boxing for the first time.
 
Why is beatboxing rising up in India. is it the post rap continuum?
I wouldn't tie it to the post rap continuum necessarily, beat-boxing existed previously and exists independently. Beat-boxing is becoming more and more "its own thing", outside the stylistic bounds of hip hop, though nobody will dispute that lineage. Basically its versatility makes it break free from any one genre -- and as much as the two are linked, we really don't see ourselves as secondary features in a rap environment.

You have to consider some factors linked to its rise in India. 1) it's free 2) it's versatile, you don't need to be a hip hop head to enjoy it 3) there's something inherently cool about its self-reliance, not needing an instrument 4) the community nature, be it online or offline, you're always learning from your peers and growing with them. Beat-boxers tend to be a bit offbeat and curious in nature, so we're all friends who get along as well as musicians who learn from each other. Plus in the pandemic, it's been a great release of pent up frustration for a lot of school and college students, we're seeing the median age get younger and younger -- the internet has always played a big role but over the last 2 years that has really come to the forefront. The movie 'Gully Boy' and the concurrent rise of Indian hip hop, together definitely played out, but without the sheer accessibility of beat-boxing, none of this would have happened. There's a general "pay it forward" ethos when it comes to creating tutorials and spreading knowledge -- while some people do (and should) charge for their knowledge, most of us acknowledge that we learned it from free tutorials, and it's for the best if the foundational knowledge is free and accessible. 

My crew and the 'slam scene'?
LOL! well frankly, those are two different parts of my life. I was the founder of the Pune Poetry Slam back in 2013, and there was a tight group of people there, but that has nothing to do with my beat-boxing life. If anything, my "crew" now is my team at BbxIndia, the nation-wide "official" body whose job it is to organise events and championships, and provide support for beat-boxing. We're organizing the Indian Beatbox Festival in December, which I'm quite excited about right now!



 What all do i write, slam about?
I've been bit inactive in the slam scene since 2016 ... So I don't think it really applies. Haven't been putting out my writing either, and unlikely that this skill will translate into me writing lyrics for my music (never say never, but i largely prefer instrumental to vocals). But to answer the spirit of the question -- 

As of now, I'm working on a beat-boxing and live looping set, and the "vibes" are very inspired by the drama ... the aesthetics of post-rock and shoegaze. I want to make music that helps the audience "transcend" the mundane, and create an atmosphere of cathartic emotion. The world is not a very good place to be right now, and I want my music to be the calm in the eye of that storm. And even the sparse lyrical material I have for that centers on celebrating life, the human spirit, or providing solidarity in the darkness. The world is turning us into automatons, I want to use music as a way to pull back to the human self.

About my recent interaction with FEMWAV.
Through my limited interaction with the team, I'm quite impressed, and hope to create a new collaboration with FEMWAV. Yes the organization, is an important initiative and I really look forward to network with more women and non binary in the indie music scene...