Reshaping The Axis - Part One

During the last ten years, the music and entertainment industry in India has witnessed a marked rise in the participation of women in roles such as artist-managers, event producers, stage and back-line crew and managerial services. The professional roles of women in the music industry of India is transforming - linked to the parallel rise of female participation in the business and entrepreneurial side of the sector globally. In 2005, women accounted for approx. 38% of the global culture industry and today it stands at 65%. Amazing Right?! A similar rise in female presence is visible across the indie music sector of India, especially during the last five years, with various women, mostly self-trained, taking up jobs and responsibilities that were tacitly male dominated earlier. 

FEMWAV is focussing on a group of Indian women, who are engaged in artist management, production of concerts, festivals and peripheral roles. The point is to discuss - the challenges, their formation and the future, that these women envision about the culture industry of India. These women, who are reshaping the ‘axis of the industry’ as well as shifting the power base, albeit bit by bit. Part one, we speak with Anu Anna George and Payal Jairaj, about their formation as professionals, challenges, navigating the patriarchal nature of the business and about creating new opportunities for women joining the industry. 


Tell us about your background, prior to joining the music management business?


Anu: I joined the music industry fresh out of college. I used to go out to gigs and did a little internship while I was still in college with what was at the time the only music agency promoting non film/ classical/ folk music in Bombay.

Payal: I had just moved back to India in 2009 from Dubai. I was working for a telecom company in the technical department. I was looking for a job in the similar industry when I stumbled upon Submerge Entertainment and started working with them as a booking and programming manager

What were the principle challenges you faced as female entrant into a clearly male dominated realm?

Anu: Honestly I don't think I personally have faced such challenges. I have been surrounded by people that have really supported and encouraged me to grow and told me that I have potential. I have been very fortunate. I'm an extremely enthusiastic worker and that has always been appreciated. I started off young and have generally worked with small teams so I guess I have been protected from such biases. I am aware that this is an issue that may arise as I grow but right now I actually see more opportunity for women to take advantage of their gender in this industry.

Payal: At the time I had just joined a music agency I was pretty much new in the music business itself so I kind of started right at the bottom.. However I was working for one of the best female DJs in the country (Pearl) so it didn't feel like it was just a male dominated realm for me.. All the music agencies that I worked with such as Submerge Entertainment, Krunk, OML etc have always been supportive of women artists.


What are your current projects and works about? Your view on the disruption of the live entertainment industry because of the Covid pandemic?

Anu: Im currently focused on two artists that I personally represent as part of the Mixtape team. Trying to work new concepts and find ways to stay relevant and present through these times. Right from the start of the pandemic I've tried to maintain a positive stance and i am amazed at how people have adapted themselves to make shit happen. The live entertainment industry in my opinion honestly blew up too fast which has been great for younger talent to emerge but was very volatile and I think now is an excellent opportunity for artists to focus on their music and all the backend that goes into actually getting the music heard and loved and on to people's personal playlists.

Payal: Currently I am looking at doing some freelance work due to the current situation.. I feel it will take a while before we revive going back to clubs or music gatherings of any sort.. it's really sad as this is happening all over the world at the moment and all we can do it wait .. However a lot of artists have started doing live gigs so that's ail bit of fun.

What steps have you undertaken to create new opportunities for more female artists and professionals in the music industry of India?

Anu: In March 2019 I assisted Wild City in organizing a workshop for Women in Electronic Music. Which further led to a short lived series of nights that were hosted at bars around Bandra, Bombay giving first time DJs and producers an opportunity to play their first gigs. We'd have a line up of about 5 girls playing 20-30 minute sets basis what they were comfortable with. The Night/ initiative was called Rise Up and was put together with the help of some of the girls that attended the workshop. We also conducted a few additional workshops. Both the workshops and the club nights played out really well, following which we had a few of the girls really go on to pursue a career as DJs and being booked on festival line ups

Payal: I have worked with several female artists during my career and have seen the rise of female artists from all over the country and music genres... We took every opportunity to program female artists for our gigs in the music agencies I have worked and also personally managed artists such as DJ Priyanjana, Saba ( One half of Madboy/Mink), Sandunes to name a few...


Future plans?

Payal: At the moment, just getting back into the music scene and work with music festivals although with the pandemic I am not sure how long that will take…

Anu: Stay persistent…

Next Week - In part-two of Reshaping The Axis, we speak to Desiree, Meha and Ridhi who are the youngest bunch of female professionals engaged in various aspects of the music and entertainment industry. Speaking about how the pandemic has affected their sectors, what challenges they have faced to create space for themselves and their own stories about music and aspirations.

Written by Roopkiran Sangha - Artwork by FEMWAV
Join FEMWAV on Instagram!