For What Words are Worth: Arundathi Manakkad

While suburban and rural India grapples with the chasm between itself and electronic music consumption, most of its metropolitan cities are seeing a small but sure surge of women and non-binary musicians. In 'For What Words are Worth', we ask these emerging or established artists questions about their experiences and challenges, their hopes and their fears, in a bid to draw parallels where there are any to be drawn and connect them with one other to give way to a stronger community to foster their burgeoning skills.

Today we talk to Arundathi Manakkad, an immensely talented visual artist based in Bangalore, India, now bringing her wilfully fractured and fascinating sensibilities to electronic music as Flo.pi.wit.x.c.h


Arundahti at Synthfarm, 2019



What do you make of the current gender-imbalance in the music industry or the independent music scene?

I think that the gender-imbalance is part of the system. I haven’t seen women forming the majority of any crowd in a concert/musical event in Bangalore, including the organisers and the audience. Seeing women around who are peers inspires feelings of safety and comfort for me, however I haven't seen that many women around. 

I went to the Ableton Live 10 launch in India a few months ago. I was the only woman at the conference, in a group of maybe 70 - 100 men. I didn’t know anyone there. It sort of hit me then that my run with music would be a lonely journey. I think the question for me personally becomes, how much will I risk my safety and mental well being for my musical career. 

There are external factors/threats/fears/stereotypes in power that are limiting the number of women in the music scene in India. Every individual should have the ability to start at the same point in the same industry irrespective of gender, caste, disability, how someone looks like, or any physical factor or bias. I think we must address that there’s a bias/problem to begin with (these monsters are not invisible! - They are living, breathing, parts of our society, sometimes with heartbeats).

What does empowerment mean for you? As a woman and as an emerging artist?

Empowerment to me is making sure that everyone starts at the same point, and receives the same type of support from the community around them. It means that everyone can have a chance at their dream without the voices and actions of other people and other factors (mainly societal and gender roles) dragging them down. 

I don’t want to live in fear of what a man might do to me if he’s intimidated/pissed off at me/ my skill. I don’t want to be afraid to come back alone at night after a gig. I don’t want to be constantly worried about what I look like. I don’t want to be looked at differently by club promoters/managers/the audience because I am a woman. I don’t want to be paid less because I am a woman! I don’t want men to think I’m easily emotionally manipulated because I am a woman. I don’t want to be judged if I don’t dress up like a “typical decent woman”. I want artistic/human freedom to do whatever I want.  I want to be treated with care if I have to play a show on my period.  I think as humans we need to strive to be better. We have to work together to have a no-tolerance policy for any kind of abuse/injustice/marginalisation, and work on giving each other tools/resources/ heart to grow and thrive.

As an artist (visual and now music), how do you navigate your work? Do you see music becoming a source of income for you in the future?

I focus on myself first. For me it is important to have a purpose, if my purpose and drive is not strong enough, then I can’t help myself or anyone around me. I see a lot of “vices” around me - a lot of people carrying out unsustainable actions; in terms of the environment and themselves, especially in the music industry. My ultimate goal is to change the scene for the better, to make it more sustainable, and to make sure that the artists and the audience thrive. 

This is my purpose for being a part of the Indian music scene. 

With context to my journey as a visual artist/designer. I spent sixteen years (from around 2003 - 2019) developing my skill. I constantly make sure that I have a good/ competent skill set. I continue to develop my skills in areas that I think that I am lacking in practice or knowledge/ in areas that I think I can push myself to improve. 

I’m in awe of the local talent in India. I’m constantly motivated by the work that my peers create (visually and musically) this makes me strive to bring something that’s equally valuable to the table. 

When I reached a stage where I felt that I  could contribute equally to the cultural landscape as well as any of my other peers (this time for me was in 2017, to now), I reached out to them for collaborations, and I reach out to people who I really think I can add value to. Artists or bands who I think I can help tell their story strongly, visually.

I also turn up for events by artists/organisations that I admire deeply and that have reached out to me or shown interest in making a connection with me. This is how I’ve been navigating the independent music landscape as a visual artist.

This approach has allowed me to meet some phenomenal people, come across interesting opportunities, be a part of enriching programs, grow as a person, and most importantly gain confidence and find hope. Each piece of art that I contribute to the scene  becomes a small piece of tangible proof that I am creating and stitching up small pieces of my dream into existence. 

As a musician, I’m just starting. I’ve invested a portion of my income from my day job as a visual designer to take 3-4 music classes a week, to develop my skill. I am very fortunate to have the teachers that I have. I’m learning the basics of Electronic music production on Ableton from Cosmic Attic (Sharath Narayanan) and I’m learning how to use the CDJ machine/ learn how to DJ from Stalvart John.

I definitely see music becoming a source of income for me in the future. One, because I’m an optimist and two, because I think it’s important for me to have a practical dream. Music can be a sustainable career for me only if I generate an income. Artists that have sold out concert halls are truly remarkable. It shows that there’s an audience that wants to consume the stories and art that they have to share. If an engineer can generate an income by creating machines or products that people can use, then an artist who shapes and shatters perspectives, allows people to dream, spreads positive messages, plays an equally important role in society and should be allowed to thrive. 

I currently  work three days a week at Fairtrade India. I just got a new appointment letter from Stay Abode Ventures, so I will be working 6 days a week starting in March. My life is going to be absolutely mental, but I am excited in some ways, because it’s part of my dream of becoming a full time musician. My plan is to save up money from both these jobs for the next year or two  to learn skills and buy musical equipment/software and cover studio charges.

What kind of resources and opportunities are you in need of? From a general point of view, what are the most important resources needed to establish yourself as an artist (specifically, someone of your age and background)?

I feel like I need a strong support system/peers around me. People who I can share ideas with, discuss difficulties with and peers who I can form a feedback loop with to receive and give feedback. 

Along with this I need a strong skill-set, of learning how to use electronic music software/CDJs/synths. I’m slowly trying to develop these skills with the help of classes, workshops, residencies, and seminars. 

I also need the financial capability to invest in software and instruments. I think it is vital for me to be skilled at the software and instruments and practice using them. I’m working on saving money so that I can have this down in the next two years.

Apart from this I think being connected to the right people who can recognise/appreciate your skill, or give you critical feedback so that you can improve is ultimately what makes or breaks your career after you have all the other pieces in place. I think having access to such a network is something that would help all the people in the industry greatly, if there was a system where you can upload your work, where it reaches the owners/programmers of a bar or a label, and there is a fixed number of days when someone will get back to you, either with critical feedback or a meeting, I think that would make the process of selection/booking of acts a process based on merit. 

5. Your future plans, in context to new music, album, EP etc.?

I’m currently learning electronic music production from Cosmic Attic and stitching up ideas for songs. I hope to put out an EP by the end of this year. I’m also learning how to DJ, so looking forward to hopefully play my first gig as a DJ this year as well! I have been quite religiously open mic-ing in the last year, to get comfortable on stage and overcome the nervousness/ stage-fright that I have - It’s gotten much better!

Responses have edited minimally without changing context in any way or shape. If you are a woman/ non-binary electronic music producer or DJ, or know someone who is, we would love to connect! Email us at femwav@gmail.com.

Edited by Uvika Wahi